Many homeowners and designers specify ceramic tile for surfaces such as countertops, floors, and walls because it is one of the most durable surfaces, as well as one of the easiest to maintain. As with any tile product, proper care and regular maintenance will keep ceramic tiles looking great for many years.
Florida Tile has a great list of care and maintenance tips to help keep ceramic tile surfaces looking their best. We do want to note that while these tips were developed by Florida Tile, they are applicable across all brands.
- Usually, all that is needed to keep ceramic tile looking like new is a wipe down with a damp cloth or a mop.
- If a cleaner is needed, Florida Tile recommends the use of a low VOC (volatile organic compound), neutral pH, non-hazardous, non-polluting product.
- Glazed tile walls should be cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge and a neutral cleaner, if needed, as abrasive cleaners can cause scratching. Glazed tile floors should be swept or vacuumed regularly to remove dirt and dust, followed by cleaning with a mop or sponge that has been dampened with a neutral pH cleaner. The same methods can be used on unglazed tile surfaces.
- Ceramic tile surfaces in bathrooms may need a more thorough routine cleaning due to the build-up of soap scum, body oils, and hard-water stains. Clean these surfaces with a sponge or clean cloth dampened with a neutral pH cleaner and let it stand for five minutes before rinsing and drying. You may also want to consider using a cleaner designed for bathroom tiles.
- If a heavy-duty cleaning is needed, alkaline-based cleaners are recommended for glazed and unglazed walls and countertops. Use a white nylon scrub pad and then rinse clean with water. Poultice can be used if needed. For showers, tub surrounds, and other “wet” areas, light acidic cleaners are suggested to remove hard-water stains. See Florida Tile’s website for specific information about the use of such cleaners.
For even more information regarding the care and maintenance requirements of ceramic tile products, visit the Florida Tile website. You can also contact one of Conestoga Tile’s showrooms with additional questions. Call 888-415-6589 to connect to the showroom closest to you.
Image from FloridaTile.com